In honor of Women’s History Month, we talk with nine post-9/11 veterans–all women–who served in combat and received Purple Hearts for their wounds.
These nine women are profiled in a new book, Out of the Shadows: Voices of American Women Soldiers, written by Vietnam Marine veteran Ron Farina. Ron will also join us to talk about the the unique lives of these women who served side by side with their male counterparts in war-torn Iraq and Afghanistan.
“Ron Farina’s book engagingly captures the narrative of modern American soldiers who served and sacrificed in battle. At times uplifting, and at times heartbreaking, these are real stories of women warriors that must not be ignored. Their experiences and struggles should be a reminder that our country has an obligation to fulfill its promise to honor and support our post-9/11 generation of veterans.” – Lt. Col. Amy McGrath, USMC (ret.)
Join us for a special two-part VBC Happy Hour (part 2 on March 20) to talk with these nine women, whose service, struggles, and sacrifices are now woven into our nation’s fabric:
- LTC Vivian Cochran, US Army, Iraq and Afghanistan
- Connie Johnson, US Army, Iraq
- SFC Tara Hutchinson, US Army, Iraq
- SFC Elana Duffy, US Army, Iraq and Afghanistan
- Jennifer Hunt, US Army, Iraq and Afghanistan
- Mary Jesse Herrera, US Army, Iraq
- Marlene Rodriguez, US Army, Iraq
- Kendra Garza, US Army, Afghanistan
- Maggie Bilyeau, US Army, Afghanistan
Sponsored by D&D Auto Salvage and Tobacco Free Adagio Health. Simulcast to Facebook and YouTube.